January 16, 2023 (Bridgewater, NJ) – The National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) today released the results of its 2022 Demographic Survey at a special event during the VMX conference in Orlando. The long-awaited survey results reveal the following highlights:
• The average Veterinary Technician is earning 25% more than in 2016.
• More than 70% of Veterinary Technicians have an Associates’ degree, up 16% from 2016.
• More than 1/3 of Veterinary Technicians have student loan debt, averaging $29,700/person.
• One-third of Veterinary Technicians have a second job, most often at full-time.
The full report contains, among other key elements, current data on:
• Veterinary Technician wages and hours
• Student debt
• Employee benefits
• Job satisfaction and wellness
• Preferred titles and credentials
• Top issues impacting the Veterinary Technology profession
NAVTA’s 2022 Demographic Survey was conducted January-March 2022. Survey questions were created by a panel of NAVTA members under the direction of an independent third party with expertise in survey creation and analysis. The survey garnered 1,886 qualified individual responses, resulting in a margin of error of just 2%, making it the most reliable survey data of Veterinary Technicians to date.
The full report can be downloaded by clicking HERE
According to NAVTA’s 2022 Demographic Survey, the “typical” NAVTA Member fits this profile:
• Female (91%)
• Aged 38.9 (average)
• White/Caucasian (90%)
• Has an AA/AAS degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA-accredited school of veterinary technology
• Is credentialed as either a Certified, Licensed, or Registered Veterinary Technician (CVT, LVT, RVT)
• Has been a NAVTA member 1-5 years (51%) or 6-10 years (21%)
• Is also a member of their state Veterinary Technician association
• Has been in the veterinary profession an average of 14.4 years
• Is employed at a private practice
• Has been working at their current job an average of 6.8 years
• Works an average 37.5 hours/week
• Earns an average $26.50/hour