The NAVTA Committee on Veterinary Technician Specialties
NAVTA’s VTSSM program exists to help veterinary technicians attain a higher level of recognition for advanced knowledge and skills in specific disciplines. NAVTA-affiliated specialty academies offer VTSSM programs across a wide range of focuses.
- Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians
- Academy of Internal Medicine Veterinary Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Anesthesia and Analgesia
- Academy of Veterinary Zoological Medicine Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Clinical Practice
- Academy of Laboratory Animal Veterinary Technicians and Nurses
- Academy of Veterinary Behavior Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Clinical Pathology Technicians
- Academy of Dermatology Veterinary Technicians
- Academy of Equine Veterinary Nursing Technicians
- Academy of Physical Rehabilitation Veterinary Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Ophthalmic Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Surgical Technicians
- Academy of Veterinary Technicians in Diagnostic Imaging
Individuals who achieve certification from a NAVTA-approved academy will have the ability to use the Veterinary Technician Specialist (VTS) or Veterinary Nurse Specialist (VNS) logo (shown below) with the addition of the text delineating their specialty area of certification. Please contact your certified CVTS academy for your official logo.
Create a New Specialty Academy
The Committee on Veterinary Technicians Specialties provides a standardized list of criteria and assistance for societies interested in attaining Academy status.
The CVTS provides the guidelines for veterinary technician organizations to facilitate the formation of a specialty organization. Academies are then able to develop advanced pathways in which a candidate must follow and complete in order to be awarded the designation of VTS (Veterinary Technician Specialist) in their specific discipline.
Only academies approved by the Committee on Veterinary Technicians Specialties are eligible to use the CVTS Recognized symbol. The NAVTA CVTS is recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Interested in learning the requirements to create a new specialty academy?